Citizenship - N-400 Processing

Form N-400 is an application for U.S. citizenship. Our office is available to assist N-400 applicants, throughout the entire process, from assembling application materials to interview preparation.

To apply for naturalization, Form N-400, Application for Naturalization must be filed. All eligibility requirements must be met before filing. Certain exceptions and modifications are available to those who qualify. Below you will find a general description of the application process followed by a document checklist.

General Steps in the Process

  • Determination of your eligibility to apply for citizenship.
  • Completion of the application.
  • Have two passport-style photographs taken.
  • Collect the necessary documents. A document checklist is listed below.
  • Submission of the application package and filing fee.
  • Receive an appointment letter for biometric services from USCIS.
  • Visit a USCIS fingerprinting location and have fingerprints taken.
  • Receive an appointment for an interview with a USCIS Officer.
  • Go to your local USCIS office at the specified time.
  • Bring state-issued identification, Permanent Resident Card, and any additional documents specific to your case.
  • Answer questions about your application and background.
  • Take the English and civics tests.
  • Await a decision on your case.


Document Checklist

The following 3 items must be sent with the N-400 application:

A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card or "Green Card"). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card; and

Two identical color photographs, with your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo; and

A check or money order for the application fee and the biometrics services fee for fingerprinting. (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from fingerprinting and the biometrics services fee). Write your A-Number on the back of the check or money order. You may combine the fees into one check or money order. Make your check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."


Copies of the following documents must be sent, unless USCIS asks for an original:

If we are acting on your behalf:
A completed original Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative, will be needed.


If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card:
The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document) will be needed.


If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, we will need the following 4 items:
Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:

  • Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth); or
  • Certificate of Naturalization; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship; or
  • The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport; or
  • Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America; and

Your current marriage certificate; and

Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); and

Documents referring to you and your spouse:

  • Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or
  • An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.


If you were married before, we will need:
Proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificates(s)).


If you are currently in the U.S. military service and are seeking citizenship based on that service, we will need:
A completed original Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service.

If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, we will need evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen).
Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.

If you have a dependent spouse or child(ren) who do not live with you, we will need:
Any court or government order to provide financial support; and

Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as:

  • Cancelled checks;
  • Money and receipts;
  • A court or agency printout of child support payments;
  • Evidence of wage garnishments;
  • A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your child(ren).


If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, we will need:
An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, we will need:
An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction record or acquittal order).

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), we will need:
An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; and
Evidence that you completed your sentence:

  • An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record; or
  • Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program.

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged or otherwise removed from your record, we will need:
An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction, or an original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

NOTE: If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any countervailing evidence or evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to consider.

If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident, we will need:
All correspondence with the IRS regarding your failure to file.

If you have any Federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, we will need:
A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and

Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

NOTE: You may obtain copies of tax documents and tax information by contacting your local IRS offices, using the Blue Pages of your telephone directory, or through its Web site at

If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, we will need to file:
An original Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, completed less than 6 months ago by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist.

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, we will need:
A "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service.