Simple Immigration to the United States via Diversity Visa Lottery
Diversity Visa Program is an annual program administered by the Department of State under the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1990.
This program enables a certain class of immigrants known as Diversity Immigrants to obtain visas to get into the United States.
At present, the registration period for Diversity Visa Program for the fiscal year 2014 has already commenced from October 2, 2012, and there are 50,000 visas available.
After distributing the visas among the six geographic regions, it will be taken care that no single country within each region will receive more than 7 percent of the available Diversity Visas in any one year.
Eligibility for Countries:
- The natives of the countries who have sent more than 50,000 immigrants over the past five years will not be eligible to apply for this program.
- The countries which are not eligible for this program are as follows: Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam.
- Individuals born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan are eligible.
- For a change, this time even natives of Guatemala are eligible to apply and get selected.
- Entries for the Diversity Visas can only be submitted electronically between noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)(GMT-4), Tuesday, October 2, 2012, and noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), Saturday, November 3, 2012.
- As soon as the entry is registered, it results in a confirmation screen that shows the applicant’s name and a confirmation number.
- Once the registration period is over, the computer will randomly select from the entries received from each region, and hence this program is also called Diversity Visa Lottery.
- The applicant can check the status online using the confirmation number, starting from May 1, 2013.
Eligibility for Individuals:
- Once selected through the lucky draw, the individual should take a note that not all members of his family are eligible to come along.
- There are certain simple but strict requirements to be eligible for the Diversity Visa Lottery. To begin with, the country of eligibility for the applicant will be same as that of his/her birth.
- An individual can also apply if his/her spouse’s birthplace is an eligible country.
- If an individual is born in an ineligible country, he/she can still apply if one of the parents’ birthplace is an eligible country and both the parents were living in the eligible country during the time of the applicant’s birth.
- Education also plays a pivotal role in the eligibility for Diversity Visa Program. The applicant must have the equivalent of a high school education or two years of relevant work experience.
Diversity Visa Lottery is a great step in providing opportunity for people from all over the world to immigrate to the United States, thereby sealing the gaps between other countries and the United States.
Reddy & Neumann, P.C. is an immigration law firm in Houston, Texas. For over 15 years, our firm has successfully represented corporate clients across the United States in their efforts to bring foreign workers and business professionals to the United States. Reddy & Neumann, P.C. is highly experienced in working with employment-based visas, adjustment of status, green cards, and PERM labor certification. From filing, through approval, and on to appeal, we do everything possible to ensure that your company can bring the best and brightest in the world to the United States.