Skip to Content

What is a B visa?

The B “visitor” visa is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1) or for leisure or medical treatment (B-2). Travelers from certain eligible countries may be able to visit the U.S. without a visa on the Visa Waiver Pilot Program.

Applying for a business visitor B-1 visa

Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The presumption in the law is that every visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

  • The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
  • That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period; and
  • That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

How long can a B-1 stay in the U.S.

Those admitted into the US on a B visa can generally be admitted for up to 6 months and can be extended for an additional 6 months. 

Visa Waiver  Program

Travelers coming to the U.S. for tourism or business for 90 days or less from qualified countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. without a visa. Over 35 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Pilot Program. Visitors entering on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) cannot work or study while in the U.S. and cannot stay longer than 90 days or adjust their status to another category.

The criteria for traveling without a visa have been tightened in order to increase the security of travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. In order to enter the United States without a visa, citizens of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program must first have a travel authorization that has been authorized. The eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and whether such travel creates any law enforcement or security risks are determined through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), an automated system. ESTA approval authorizes a traveler to board a carrier for travel to the United States under the VWP.

Contact Our Houston B-1 Visa Lawyers

It’s critical to seek the counsel of an experienced immigration lawyer if you or someone you know needs a B-1 business visa for immigration purposes. Our skilled immigration attorneys in Houston, Texas, routinely handle B-1 business visas and are aware of how crucial business travel can be. We are committed to offering solutions, direction, and support, and we anticipate assisting you as you navigate the immigration process. If you are in need of a US work visa or permanent residency, speak with one of our immigration lawyers. Please contact us online, call our Houston business immigration attorney office directly at 713-953-7787, or schedule a consultation.