Skip to Content

Stay Compliant: Everything You Need to Know About the AR-11 Form

What is the AR-11 Form

The law requires all noncitizens in the United States to report a change of address to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within 10 days of moving, with the exception of A and G visa holders and visa waiver (ESTA) visitors. The AR-11 Form is used to comply with this requirement. Note that changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) will not change your address with USCIS. Thus, the AR-11 must still be submitted even if you have updated your address with the post office.

How to file Form AR-11 with USCIS

There are multiple ways to notify USCIS of a change of address.

One option is to physically mail a completed Form AR-11 Alien’s Change of Address Card to USCIS’ Change of Address office in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The paper form requires you to provide your full name, date of birth, and if you have one, you’re a number. Then, you can fill in your new physical address along with your old physical address. The form must be signed and dated, then mailed to the correct address noted in the form instructions. If choosing this option, keep a copy of the completed form and mail it using a service that provides proof of delivery, such as a tracking confirmation number. The paper version of the form requires each family member in the U.S. to fill out the form, sign, date, and mail it. This process also does not change your address for any pending cases that you may have filed at USCIS, it is just for informational purposes to comply with the law that requires noncitizens to report address changes.

Another option is to fill out and submit the AR-11 Form online at . The benefit of this option is that you have instant verification that the address change has been received by USCIS. In addition, if you have an application that is currently pending with USCIS, such as an I-539, I-485, I-765, or I-131, you can include the receipt number(s) for all of your pending applications and USCIS will update the address on your pending cases so that any notices can be mailed to your new address. The online form asks “Have you filed an immigration-related application or petition and your case is pending a decision or you have not received a notice, card, or document?” If you select “Yes,” you will have the opportunity to enter the Form Number, Form Type, Receipt Number, and the Zip code used when the application was filed. You can add multiple forms and Receipt Numbers. The, you provide your full name, date of birth, and if you have one, you’re a number. Next, you can fill in your new physical address along with your old physical address. You must enter your email address when filing online so that you can receive the confirmation of the address change. Next, you will be asked to confirm who is completing the AR-11 Form, which would typically be the Applicant. By entering your name again, you are electronically signing the document and can then submit. When filling out the AR-11 form online, it’s important to note that you should not include receipt numbers for pending I-129 or I-140 cases. Although providing the receipt number for your pending case on the AR-11 form allows USCIS to update your address and send any notices to your new address, it’s crucial to understand that I-129 and I-140 petitions are cases associated with your employer sponsor, not the employee being sponsored (the Beneficiary). Therefore, the employee is not required to update their home address through the online AR-11 on this specific type of case.

Lastly, if you have filed an application online using your myUSCIS account, you can log into your account at to complete a change of address. If you have a pending application that was not filed online, but has a receipt number that begins with IOE, you can still use a myUSCIS account to complete the address change online. You must first have or create a myUSCIS account at . You must then link your pending case that has an IOE receipt number. Choose “Add a paper-filed case.” Then, enter your receipt number, Online Access Code and date of birth. Your Online Access Code is listed in the Account Access Notice USCIS mailed you. If you don’t have your Online Access Code, you can request a new one online at

In conclusion, staying compliant with the address change requirement is crucial for noncitizens residing in the United States. The AR-11 Form is the tool provided by USCIS to fulfill this obligation. Remember, updating your address with the U.S. Postal Service is not sufficient, as it does not change your address with USCIS. To file the AR-11 Form, you have several options: mailing the physical form to USCIS, submitting the form online, or using your myUSCIS account for an address change. While completing the AR-11 form online, it is important to note that receipt numbers for pending I-129 or I-140 cases should not be included, as these cases pertain to employer sponsors rather than the employee being sponsored. By staying informed and taking the necessary steps to update your address through the AR-11 Form, you can ensure compliance and that you receive important notices from USCIS to your new address.

By: Emily Neumann

Emily Neumann is Managing Partner at Reddy Neumann Brown PC with over 15 years of experience practicing US immigration law providing services to U.S. businesses and multinational corporations. Emily has helped transform the firm from a solo practice to Houston’s largest immigration law firm focused exclusively on U.S. employment-based immigration.  She received her Bachelor’s degree in Biology from Central Michigan University and her Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Houston Law Center. Emily is a frequent speaker and has been quoted in Bloomberg Law, U.S. News & World Report, Inside Higher Ed, and The Times of India on various hot topics in immigration. She is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and Society for Human Resource Management.

Reddy & Neumann has been serving the business community for over 25 years and is Houston’s largest immigration law firm focused solely on US. Employment-based immigration. We work with both employers and their employees, helping them navigate the immigration process quickly and cost-effectively.