A safe and a lawful process for Venezuelans to temporarily reside and work in the United States
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced on October 12, 2022 a safe and a lawful process for Venezuelans to temporary reside and work in the United States.
To qualify, Venezuelans must meet the following requirements:
- Travel to the United States by air directly to an interior port of entry;
- Have a supporter in the United States who will provide financial and other support;
- The supporter must have a lawful status in the United States;
- The supporter can be an individual or a representative of a business;
- Must prove that they have the means to provide financial and other support for the beneficiary;
- Representatives of businesses must declare the organization’s financial support; and
- Must pass security background check to protect against exploitation and abuse
- Pass rigorous biometric and biographic national security and public safety screening and vetting; and
- Complete vaccinations and other public health requirements.
Once in the United States, Venezuelans who enter through this process will be eligible to apply for work authorization.
Venezuelans are ineligible if they:
- Have been ordered removed from the United States in the previous five years;
- Have crossed without authorization between ports of entry after the date of announcement;
- Have irregularly entered Mexico or Panama after the date of announcement, or are a permanent resident or dual national of any country other than Venezuela, or currently hold refugee status in any country; or
- Have not completed vaccinations and other public health requirements.
Effective immediately, Venezuelans should not travel to Mexico to pursue entry into the United States as they will be returned to Mexico.
More information on this process will be available at www.uscis.gov/venezuela in the coming days.
By: Felipe Jimenez
Felipe Jimenez is an Associate Attorney at Reddy & Neumann, P.C. He works in the H-1B Department where he assists clients through all phases of the non-immigrant visa process.
Reddy & Neumann has been serving the business community for over 20 years and is Houston’s largest immigration law firm focused solely on US. Employment-based immigration. We work with both employers and their employees, helping them navigate the immigration process quickly and cost-effectively.